The Q&A Archives: Border Perennials For The Side Of Sidewalks

Question: I am looking for a nice sidewalk border that will bloom June through fall. How about Aubrieta? I want something 8-18 in tall that will fill in well and have some color, and come back every year. Thank You Very Much!

Answer: One of the best things about perennials is that come back every year. Unfortunately, you give up summer-long bloom. Perennials usually bloom only for a part of the season, usually from 2-6 weeks. Aubrieta blooms only for a few weeks in late spring, but there are other options if you want continuous bloom. Plant annuals in with your aubrieta. Annuals will bloom continuously throughout the summer. Or choose several different perennials that will bloom at different times during the summer, for example, your aubrieta in spring, and some hardy geraniums for summer, along with veronica and feverfew in the fall. The variety makes for an interesting border.