The Q&A Archives: Finding a Local Gardening Club In My Area

Question: I recently moved to this area and am very interested in joining a local gardening club. How would I go about finding out if there is one? Are most clubs registered anywhere? Thanks.

Answer: There is not a national registry for garden club unfortunately, but some clubs are members of a national "federated" group. That means that these clubs abide by the national guidelines, pay national dues, and receive incentives and awards for their educational and horticultural efforts. This group is call the National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc. with its offices in St. Louis, MO. It can advise you of the possibility of local federated clubs. They can be reached at 314-776-7574, e-mail: and on the internet: at http//
Since not all clubs choose to become federated, there is still the possibility that local clubs exist that the National Council would be unaware of. To find those clubs, call your local chamber of commerce or your local newspapers. These are the people who usually know what's going on in an area. Welcome Wagon or any such greeting organization, the local library or local garden nurseries may be aware of the group you are hunting. A little detective work should put you in touch with a garden club! Have fun hunting and growing!