The Q&A Archives: Location Of Cold Frame

Question: I've built a small cold frame. I plan on using it to get an early start on the growing season. My garden receives morning and afternoon sun. I have some shade in the area. The elevation is over 4500 feet here and we can get snow, freezes and frost as late as May. I would like to have help in locating my cold frame. Should it have morning sun, afternoon sun, partial shade? Face west, east, or south?

Answer: Cold frames are essentially passive solar collectors; to get maximum benefit from the heat and light of the sun, they should face south. Southeast or southwest exposures are the next best choices. Ideally, the site should receive full sun from mid-moring to mid-afternoon during the winter and early spring months.

Good luck with your new cold frame!