The Q&A Archives: Greenhouse Plants for LA

Question: I have recently moved into a house which came with a small greenhouse (10'x12') in the backyard. Given the warm climate and the time of year, are there any particular decorative plants you would recommend? Could you also refer me to information ongreenhouse techniques, etc.? Thank you very much. Ron Milberger Los Angeles, CA

Answer: A greenhouse in Los Angeles almost seems like overkill, but it can be useful to grow tropical plants that like more heat year round than the outdoors can provide. You can grow a variety of flowering plants and even edible fruits such as bananas in container in your greenhouse. perhaps orchids, bromeliads or plumeria would be a nice place to start. The skies the limit. Consult the following catalog for other tropical ideas! Brudy's Exotics P.O. Box 820874 Houston, TX 77282-0874 800-926-7333