The Q&A Archives: Lisanthus Basics

Question: I recently purchased a lisianthus and I'm having difficulty finding out anything about how to care for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Rene Bracken Buchanan, NY

Answer: Lisianthus (or Eustoma) is native to the U.S. plains but garden forms were introduced from Japan. The plants like warm nights, and will keep blooming if deadheaded. They need rich, well-drained soil. Fertilize with a weak liquid fertilizer (1/4 tsp/gallon water). Lisianthus is a biennial or short-lived perennial often grown as an annual. The best cut flowers are produced in greenhouses. Pinch back to increase flower production; water sparingly, keeping blossoms dry. Plants will not flourish where summer rainfall is heavy; it dislikes transplanting.