The Q&A Archives: Looking For A Particular Sunflower

Question: I've been looking all over for seeds for a sunflower I've seen at florists and nowhere else. The flowers are 6-8 inches across with 4-5 inch centers. The petals are single, neon orange or sometimes yellow or streaked with yellow. The stems and leaves are purple. From the size of the stems and leaves, I'm guessing a large plant, 5 - 7 feet. Is this for real, and if so, where can I get seeds?

Answer: You may very well be describing Burpee's Strawberry Blonde Hybrid Sunflower. The plants grow 6' tall and produce 5"-6" blooms with brown discs. The petals are subtle lemon yellow with rose-pink streaks. From a distance, the flowers look neon orange. Visit Burpee's online catalog for a closer look: You can order online or toll-free (800) 888-1447.