The Q&A Archives: Reviving Wind

Question: I recently started several plants including sunflowers, cilantro, wildflowers and basil from seed outdoors. All were doing well and developing nicely until a few days ago when we had terrible storms here. Many of the young plants, especially the cilantro and wildflowers, were damaged (flattened) by the high winds and hard rains. Some of them seem to be reviving, but many of them look like they are dying. Is there anything I can do to help them recover? Jada Cordonnier Austin, TX

Answer: Unfortunately, once the damage is done all you can do is wait and see if the seedlings will repair themselves. There's really nothing you can do. Give them a little time; you may need to sow more seeds to replace those you've lost.