The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Wild Honeysuckle

Question: I have access to several wild growing honeysuckle vines. I would like to transplant them up closer to our house. When would be an appropriate time and how should I go about doing this? We live in zone 6.

Plants suffer less stress if they're transplanted in spring or fall, when the weather is cool and damp. You can transplant anytime the soil is not frozen. Wild plants often have extensive root systems, and most are deeper and wider than their cultivated cousins. Usually this is to help them survive infrequent waterings and the competition from neighboring plants for both nutrients and moisture.

In your gardening zone the average last frost can occur as late as the end of April. If the ground is not frozen, plan on digging the honeysuckle up in late March or early April.