The Q&A Archives: Monterey Cypress Care

Question: At the Southeastern Flower Show in Atlanta yesterday I bought a Monterey cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) 'Gold Crest' and I know nothing about taking care of it. Any tips would be helpful.

Answer: This attractive tree grows to a height of 30' to 50' and becomes quite picturesque with age. Native to the Monterey peninsula in California, the tree has, unfortunately, succumbed to a canker in many parts of California. Fortunately, you're a long way from California so hopefully you won't have this problem. 'Goldcrest' has attractive yellow to golden colored needles.

The trees prefer a deep, well-drained soil, and will tolerate limestone (alkaline) soils. Choose a site in full sun, and be sure to water the plant deeply throughout its first growing season -- a thorough soaking once a week should be adequate, if nature doesn't supply. Mulch the tree to help conserve moisture and limit competition from grasses for water and nutrients.

Good luck with your tree!