The Q&A Archives: Germinating Fuchsia Seed

Question: Do I need growth lights to germinate fuchsias or can I just place them in a South or SW window? I just purchased your Morning Belle' and Evening Belle' and a 'net friend said they need a grow lamp to germinate! Thanks for your help! Christine Cude Arlington, TX

Answer: Some seeds need light to germinate; if so, any source of light is adequate--whether it be sunlight or fluorescent light. Fuchsia seeds will germinate better with some light, so simply sow the seeds on the surface of moist seed starter mix. Leave in a light spot--a window will work fine. You'll need to keep the soil surface moist. (A mister works nicely.) You might want to keep them out of direct, bright sunlight so the soil doesn't dry out too fast.