The Q&A Archives: Shade Tolerant Plants With Full Sun In The Afternoon

Question: Hi, I have this area in the front of my house that gets shade all day until the late afternoon, then gets full sun. It is very hot where we live. I have tried many shade loving plants and they do well for awhile, but inevitably they start to die off in the mid to late summer, because of the hot afternoon sun. Can you suggest some annuals or perennials that may be compatible with this scenario. We do have some azaleas planted at the back. It is the front of the beds that I need something to plant. thank you so much for your help. I LOVE this website and recommend it to all my gardening friends. :)

Answer: When faced with that type of a location, it often makes more sense to look at sun loving plants which tolerate some shade and experiment with them, especially when your shade lovers are frying in midsummer. Here are some fairly tolerant plants to try: shorter varieties of daylily (hemerocallis), perennial geranium, purple coneflower, heuchera (coral bells), variegated liriope, various types of sedum and the annual, fibrous rooted bedding begonias.