The Q&A Archives: Grasshoppers Everywhere

Question: How do I keep grasshoppers from eating everything in my garden?

Answer: Here are three suggestions for your grasshopper problem. First, remove any grassy weeds near the garden, where the grasshoppers will congregate when they're not eating your garden plants. Second, encourage wildlife, especially birds, into your garden. Do this by minimizing pesticide use and planting trees and shrubs with berries and seeds that are attractive to birds. Birds can eat a remarkable number of insects. Finally, consider using the biological control Nosema locustae. This is a microbe that attacks grasshoppers, and is sold under various trade names specifically to control grasshoppers. One last suggestion: if you live on a large lot, consider getting a few free-roaming hens. They will correct the problem very quickly! And of course, the eggs are a bonus!