The Q&A Archives: Tips on Lotus

Question: I have planted some lotus seeds in a shallow pan of dirt covered in water. They have now sprouted. What do I do next? Help! Ralph Hubele Calgary, Alberta

Answer: Attach the emerging seedling to a ball of clay and submerge it in water. If you plan to grow it in a pond, plant it in the pond when temperatures remain above 40 degrees F. Plant in full sun or very light shade in still water about 2-5 feet deep, spacing plants 36-48 inches apart. Feed monthly during the growing season with commercial aquatic fertilizer. Groom plants by regular removal of faded leaves. Protect from winter freeze by covering pond with boards or canvas, plus a 3 inch layer of hay. Move container-grown plants to a cool, frost-free location, watering as necessary. Or tubers can be lifted and stored over the winter in damp sand in a frost-free location. Divide container-grown plants every 2-3 years to maintain vigor.