The Q&A Archives: Lily Of The Valley

Question: I'm interested in the Lily of the Valley. I live in zone 8, at approximately 3500 ft elevation. How early could I safely plant the lily of the valley? And can I expect blooms the first year? And what, pray tell, are 'pips'?

Answer: Pips are offshoots that originate from the roots of a plant. They're alternately called 'slips', or 'pips'. Roots are the storage organs of plants, and new shoot growth begins at the crown, or upper area of the roots. In Lily-of-the-Valley, the complete package - roots and potential upright shoot - is called a pip.

You can plant clumps or single pips in September or October in your gardening zone. If you just purchased new pips, you can plant them in February or March. Provide partial shade, rich, moist soil, and regular watering throughout the growing season. Your new plants should produce blooms the first spring after planting.