The Q&A Archives: Wet Lawns and Cordless Mowers

Question: Is it safe to use my cordless mower if my lawn is wet (It's almost always wet in Seattle!) and is it okay for my lawn?

Answer: The owner's manual will explain the operation of your cordless mower and whether or not it's safe to use on wet grass. I suspect you'll find that your mower will be more efficient when the grass is dry. Wet grass is difficult to mow because it's not standing upright, and wet grass tends to clump together and clog the exit chute your mower.

I garden (and mow) on the rainy side of the Cascades, too. It can be a bit of a challenge to find a break in the weather, but I always allow the lawn to dry out for a day before I mow. That way I'm not compacting the soil by walking on it when it's wet, and the grass has a chance to stand up straight so the mower cuts it evenly.