The Q&A Archives: Store Potted Hyacinth Bulbs

Question: I purchased Hyacinth Bulbs potted and ready to bloom. They are done blooming and I don't know how to care for them until I am ready to plant them in the ground in the fall? Can you help me?

Answer: First remove the bloom stems. Then you will need to keep them in a cool, very bright location so that the foliage can grow and replenish the bulb. If possible, it's a good idea to acclimate it to the outdoors and plant it this spring, but that will depend on the weather cooperating. In the meantime, keep the foliage growing as long as possible, then allow it to wither and fade naturally before you remove it. Then keep the bubs in a cool dry airy location (store them in a boc or paper bag, not plastic) until fall.