The Q&A Archives: Molds On Seedling Soil

Question: My son is doing a science fair project on growing Blue Lake Bush Beans using regular water and water solutions with salt, sugar, baking soda and vinegar. Only the seedling watered with tap water sprouted. In addition, the seeds watered with vinegar and sugar got molds on the soil. Can you tell us why the molds formed and why the other seeds did not grow?

Answer: I would suspect that the plants were overwatered if mold formed on the soil; this could also have caused the seeds to rot. However, it is difficult to tell exactly what happened. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Since this is a science fair project you might want to discuss it with your teacher or look at the following site called Cyberfair which has lots of useful information about experiments in it. I hope this helps.