The Q&A Archives: Cold Hardy Grape Varieties

Question: I'm looking to start about five grape vines in the back yard and I need a white grape that is very hearty, for our COLD Ohio lakeshore winters. What vines do you sell that fit those specifications? Jason Kashmer Oak Harbor, OH

Answer: Burpee's Lakemont seedless is a good winter hardy variety. According to my zone map, it looks like you are in USDA Zone 5, but perhaps the cold winds off the lake in winter are a challenge for your grape vines. I suggest pruning your vines to a low-headed double trunk. Bend the canes down to the ground and mulch well for the winter. This should help keep them cozy and safe for the winter. I also recommend a windbreak of some sort, as drying winter winds present quite a danger to vines.