The Q&A Archives: Chewed up Dahlia Leaves

Question: My dahlias have just started coming up. However something has already chewed holes in the leaves. What can I do to prevent this? Beverly Turner Vancouver, WA

Answer: I'm sorry to hear that something is munching on your dahlias already! Are they coming up with holes in the leaves, or are they being eaten right after emergence? I can't say for sure how to prevent this from happening, because we need to know moreabout the culprit before making a recommendation. If they are coming up with holes in the leaves, explore in the soil around the plants and see if you unearth anything. If something is eating them after they come up, check the plants at different times of day (and at night with a flashlight) to see if you can catch the pest at work. If you find something (and even if you don't) contact your extension office to see what they recommend. Their phone number is 254-8436. Good luck!