The Q&A Archives: Ideas For A Flower Bed

Question: I have a bare flower bed under my tree but I am not sure what are the best flowering plants for this area taking into account the shade, So California climate and ease of maintenance. I would like to have something flowering all year round to brighten up the tree. There's quite a lot of room so I would like to plant a few different varieties that compliment each other. Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

Answer: Easy care plants are usually native to the area. Some shady area suggestions include Aristolochia californica (California Dutchman's Pipe), Asarum caudatum (Wild Ginger), and Lilium humboldtii (Humbolt Lily). Annuals and perennials require a bit more maintenance, but the following plants are all good choices: Aconitum (Monkshood), Arum, Begonia, Caladium, Campanula, Clivia miniata (Kaffir Lily), Coleus, Lily-of-the-Valley, Dicentra (Bleeding Heart, Impatiens, Lobelia, Polygonatum (Solomon's Seal), Primrose, Vancouveria and Pansy.