The Q&A Archives: Encouraging Bird of Paradise Blooms

Question: I live in Chicago. My apartment has a large sun room with north, east, and south exposure. I have grow lights installed in the porch. I have four bird of paradise plants that I started from scratch. They have grown very well, but have never produced blooms. If there a way that I can get them to bloom? T. Bruce Robson Chicago, IL

Answer: Did the seed packet or catalog from which you got your seeds mention that Bird of Paradise takes 4-6 years to bloom? Otherwise, it sounds like they are doing fine in your apartment. Just so you know, they do require lots of light, but shade from directhot summer sun, average warmth (55-60 degrees in winter), and plenty of water (soil surface should be dry before you water again). The young plants should be repotted each spring, too.