The Q&A Archives: Frost Free Date

Question: I would like to start some seeds inside and all the seed packages refer to the frost free date. Where can I find the frost free date for my region. Also, I was wondering where I would find my local Cooperative extension service?

Answer: You're in USDA zone 7 with a last frost date that falls between March 30 and April 30. Take an average (April 15) and count back from there to decide when to start your seeds. Some seeds should be started 10-12 weeks before the last frost date, and others should be started 6 weeks or less before the last frost date. The package will indicate when to start them.

Your local Cooperative extension service can be found by contacting University of Massachusetts Extension (413) 545-4800. There may be a field office in your county, but it's not listed in the directory.