The Q&A Archives: Controlling Weeds

Question: Last year in a burst of enthusiasm I rotatiled a border at the rear of our acre. It is approximately 100 ft. long by 4 ft. As I have done in my other garden areas, I dig and then plant annuals and a few hardy perennials and spend the next two years improving the soil,weeding and mulching and planting perennials slowly and filling in with annuals. This spring this area is just covered with either dead nettle or henbit. What do I do? Can I cover the entire area with weed barrier or should I buy a flame weeder and start burning. I tried a small area with Round up and it did not seem to have an effect. Please answer soon because parts of this weed are in full bloom and I know it's getting ready to throw seeds. Thank you. Kay Scolaro McHenry, IL

Answer: There are a couple of options aside from flame weeding you might want to consider, but if the weeds are that advanced, it may require that kind of immediate knockdown. Scythe, a fatty-acid based herbicide spray, is a contact plant toxin. A pint purchased from Gardens Alive (call 1-812-537-8650 to order, $11.99 + s