The Q&A Archives: Azalea ID

Question: I bought what the retailer called an azalea last year but am unable to get a name or info. She didn't know name either and only had the one plant left.
The leaves are slender and 2-3 " in length, unlike other azalaes. The bloom is similar to the leaves but is pink and more clustered. The bloom almost reminds me of a monarda bloom with longer petals. Someone gave me a possible name - "lunar" something? Please if you can help me I would appreciate it. It is so so very different and I do not want to lose it.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am unable to make a guess as to which plant you have. You might try revisiting the same shop and see if they have the same plant again this year -- with labels. You might also try taking a photo of the plant in bloom with you to other nurseries and to publc gardens with collections of azaleas and rhododendrons and see if you can come up with a match. There are so many different, named varieties it is very difficult to identify one by description only. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.