The Q&A Archives: "Yesterday, Today

Question: I once saw a beautiful blooming shrub in San Diego called, I believe, "Yesterday, Today and Forever." It had beautiful purple and white flowers I would like to plant it in my own garden. Is this the correct name, do you know the botanical name, and will it grow in my zone? Liz Poppens Sycamore, IL

Answer: Yes, you have the name right, and it's botanical moniker is Brunfelsia, and it's a member of the nightshade family. They are not hardy, being native to warm parts of Central and South America, and the West Indies. They require warm, humid and nearly frostless climates, and usually bloom in winter. They can be grown in greenhouse beds, but they don't grow very well in containers. Looks like you'll have to visit them on your next vacation, or better yet, get a greenhouse!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"