The Q&A Archives: No Flowers On Lantana

Question: I have two types of lantana. One is a cutting from an old variagated orange and yellow variety and the other is yellow. I cannot get them to bloom, even though they're both planted in full sun. I cut them back in the spring because they die back in the winter. Could you offer some suggestions? Thanks.

Answer: Like some other flowering plants, such as nasturtium and many wildflowers, lantanas actually flower best in relatively poor soil. So any extra efforts, such as improving soil, fertilizing, etc., could actually be contributing to the problem! This year, hold off on fertilizing the plants and see if that helps. If they are planted directly in very rich soil, you might even try transplanting them to containers, where you can more easily "deprive" them of nutrients. However, they'll still need to be watered.