The Q&A Archives: Hyacinth Plant

Question: I purchased a hyacinth plant in the grocery store and it's blooming beautifully. However, the stems and flowers are leaning completely over the sides of the pot because they are getting so tall. I live in an apartment and can not plant it outdoors. Should I re-plant it in a larger pot so I can enjoy it longer?

Answer: I'm guessing you've purchased a container of forced spring-blooming bulbs called hyacinth (Hyacinthus orientalis. Each bulb produces a single flowering stalk with waxy-looking, extremely fragrant, tightly packed pink flowers, surrounded by long, gutter-shaped leaves.

If this describes your plant, the leaning indicates it is reaching the end of its lifespan and should be discarded when the flowers fade. Forced bulbs don't usually revert to normal growing conditions and bloom times, no matter how well they're treated. Enjoy your hyacinth while you can!