The Q&A Archives: Perennials For Hot Sun and for Part-Shade

Question: I live in Zone 7 and have two beds in the front which get much sun all day and one in the back that gets mostly morning sun. I'd like to plant some perennials this spring. What can be planted in spring, that's relatively low maintenance and can stand a lot of heat in summer?

Answer: Good low maintenance, perennial choices for hot sunny conditions are Yarrow (Achillea), Artemisia, Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa), Snow-in-summer (Cerastium tomentosum), Roman Chamomile, Feverfew, Purple Coneflower (Echinacea), Sea Holly (Eryngium), Gaillardia, Sun Rose (Helianthemum), Torch lily (Kniphofia), Gay-feather (Liatris), Penstemon, Phlox, Rudbeckia, Hens and chicks (Sempervivum), Lamb's-ears (Stachys), Yucca.
Part shade perennials are fewer, but try Spiderwort (Tradescantia), Speedwell (Veronica), Stokesia, Stachys, Potentilla, Phlox, Penstemon, Catmint, Oenothera, Malva, Money plant (Lunaria), Liriope, Geum, and Cranesbill Geranium.