The Q&A Archives: Rugosa Roses

Question: I want to do a border with rugosa roses but I wonder how fast they grow ? do they have a fragrance? and will they grow well in my area Cincinnati Ohio?

Answer: Rugosas are very hardy roses and should do well in your area. They are usually grown on their own roots rather than grafted and this contributes to their adaptability. Most grow to about five feet high and wide -- there are different named selections available with varying flower attributes and different mature sizes.

They are rather dense and very thorny with a rounded outline; rugosas grow fairly quickly in a sunny spot in good soil with adequate water -- at least two feet a year. They are fragrant and as an added bonus produce prominent, ornamental hips in the fall.