The Q&A Archives: Snakes In The Garden

Question: My sister lives in the country in a town called Sanford Maine. But she is terrified of snakes and she has tons in her garden flower and veggie garden she has gone to animal control and everything with no luck. Can you help me and sister?

Answer: You might be able to contact a wild animal specialist or rehabilitator who would be willing to try to locate the snake nest or den and relocate them for you. This is especially true if it is a dangerous snake such as a timber rattler. If it is not a dangerous type of snake, you might also think about trying to overcome the fear, as difficult as that is. Remembering that in most cases snakes are not interested in harming you and in fact are helpful in the garden. They eat slugs and rodents, among other things! Finally, you might try making a perimeter area that is less attractive to snakes and thereby keep them out of your garden. A naturalist should be able to help you figure out how to do that, depending on the type of snake you are bothered by.