The Q&A Archives: Controlling Little Black Bugs on Grapes

Question: I have had my grape vine for about three years and I have noticed some little black, flea-like bugs near the new growth. Then the ants seem to be attracted to them, so how do I get rid of the black bugs if they're harmful? Thank you. Shelby Little Lakeland, FL

Answer: I can't say for sure the insects are aphids, but your description fits. They feed on plant juices and can spread disease among plants. Ants visit and actually protect aphids from predators because they feed on the aphid waste, a sweet substance calledhoneydew. Perhaps you can have a knowledgeable gardener identify them for you, or take a sample to your extension office or garden center. If they are aphids, you can control them with insecticidal soap spray, available at many garden centers and supply catalogs (Gardener's Supply - 1-800-836-1700 and Gardens Alive, 1-812-537-8650). Some gardeners have success by blasting them with a strong spray of water from a garden hose.