The Q&A Archives: Alligator Plant

Question: Could you provide me with any information you may have on a plant called an alligator plant? I was given this plant and know nothing about how or where to plant it.

Answer: The houseplant Fittonia is sometimes called alligator plant, snakeskin plant, or silver net leaf because of the network of white, pink or red veins in the leaves. Provide average household warmth (minimum 60F in winter), medium to bright light (no direct sun), liberal water in spring and summer; little water in winter, and high humidity around the plant. You can set the pot on a tray of pebbles and fill the tray with water, or you can mist the leaves daily to increase humidity around the plant. This plant grows by creeping stems and should be divided and repotted every two years.