The Q&A Archives: Using Horse Manure

Question: I have an abundance of horse manure and wish to use it as a compost/fertilizer in my new greenhouse. Is there any way to strerilize the compost or kill the seeds that are in it before using it? Shannon Tierney Dunn, NC

Answer: You can do away with a lot of the weed seeds and disease organisims in manure by putting it through a hot compost process. Gardener's Supply Co. (1-800-863-1700 or e-mail has a great free bulletin on making compost that explains the hot process. Some particulars about composting horse manure: it's high in nitrogen and prone to fermentation, so mix lots of straw or other high-carbon material (dried leaves, coarse sawdust, other manures) and add plenty of moisture to maintain the nutrient content.