The Q&A Archives: Small Trees For Very Dry Soils In Zone 4/5.

Question: Small Trees For Very Dry Soils In Zone 4/5. I would like to plant several small trees, or large shrubs, along a property line for privacy. The "soil" is excessively well drained and very, very dry. The area receives full sun. The only deciduous trees that seem to do real well naturally in the area are hickory's (pig nut I believe), which are typically well suited for dry areas. Do you have any suggestions. I don't want to water anymore plants on my property!

Answer: A good plant to consider for privacy in the type of location you describe is privet, another might be barberry. Lilac is also a possibility. These are large shrubs, winter hardy and tolerant of sun and dry soil. You will need to improve the soil in the planting area and water them until they become established, however.