The Q&A Archives: Alcea Rosea 'peaches 'n Dreams

Question: Can you give me the stats on Alcea rosea 'Peaches 'n Dreams. I would like to know if perennial, bloom time, sun or shade, soil, hardy, and if I plant seeds this spring will it bloom this year?

Answer: For the most part, hollyhocks are considered biennials which means they grow for a full season, winter over, and then bloom the second year during the summer. After that, they set seed and die, although occasionally an individual hollyhock plant will act as a short lived perennial and last another year or two. Sometimes, if started very early from seed, they will bloom the first year. They do best in a rich, evenly moist yet well drained soil (meaning not soggy) and require full sun. They may also need a support if grown in a windy location.