The Q&A Archives: Morning Glories

Question: I have mature, thick growing blue rug junipers. Morning glory vines, unfortunately, grow in the
bed. I have to pull them everyday. Is there some thing I can do to eliminate the morning glories?

Answer: This can be very difficult problem, increased because the junipers are prickly, too. Here are several approaches to try. One is to smother the vines so they can't get a good start. One way to do this is to shove sheets of heavy cardboard in under the junipers and in between them. This can be covered with mulch so it looks nicer. Another method is to spot treat the vines with an herbicide containing glyphosate. Be very careful if you try this because it will also damage the junipers if it contacts them. You may have better control using the "wipe on" method to apply it, and use some sheets of cardboard or other material to shield the junipers.