The Q&A Archives: Getting Virginia Creeper To Climb

Question: How do I get my Virginia Creeper to climb UP my masonry wall? In 3 years it has grown quite extensively, but tends to grow along the base of the wall and out into the garden. How do I get it to attach to the brick?

Answer: Virginia Creeper uses little "sticky pads" to cling to surfaces such as walls. To encourage it to climb, simply place or lean the growing tips upward and against the wall and they should cling on their own. You may find, at this point, that trimming the vine back very hard will stimulate new growth at the base so you can begin directing in the direction you want. (It will regrow very fast.) Make sure it is really a place you want the vine to be, though, because the sticky pads ae nearly impossible to remove even after pulling off the vine.