The Q&A Archives: Citrus Tree Growing

Question: I live in South Orange County, CA. and would like to plant a small orange tree. Can you recommend a disease resistant dwarf or small navel orange tree? Will I have to spray it?

My neighbor has a catalogue which advertises a 4 fruit tree. Is this possible?

Answer: 'Washington' navel grows to about 8' high when grafted onto dwarfing rootstock. It's a great tree for your growing region, well-behaved and a reliable producer. Another possibility to consider is 'Robertson' which ripens 2-3 weeks earlier.

The four variety fruit tree advertised is sometimes called a fruit cocktail combination. It combines fruits of the same family, all grafted onto a vigorous rootstock. Generally the fruits include apricots, plums and peaches, all members of the prunus family. It's a fun addition to any landscape and, if you're careful with pruning, should provide the fruits advertised.