The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Varieties for Small Spaces

Question: I have a small yard and only a very limited amount of space to devote to a vegetable garden. I really like the "mini" carrots I've been purchasing in the grocery, and wonder if Burpee has seeds available for them. Also, are there other "dwarf" varieties of vegtables that are available for my little garden? Thanks. Judy Harriss Tuscola IL

Answer: I'm not sure what variety those little carrots are--but you can pick any carrot when it's young. Burpee's Toulo Hybrid carrots are especially good for this because they color up early. Thumbelina carrots grow to about the size of a golf ball. When choosing other vegetables for your garden, look for words like "bush" or "container" varieties. For example, bush beans will take up less space than pole beans; bush cucumbers are more compact than vining cukes. "Tumbler" tomatoes are recommended for container growing and take up much less space than large, "indeterminate" vining tomatoes.