The Q&A Archives: Teardrop Plant?

Question: I am desperately trying to find a plant I knew as a child as "teardrop plant." It was small (7 inches at most) and grew on stems which produced 2 or 3 leaves each. Each leaf grew several seed pods all around the leaf on little pointy edges. Eventually these pods would drop off and a new little teardrop plant would grow from the seed. It might be a succulent, I don't really know. I grew hundreds of them as a child and now can't find them anywhere! The stems and leaves were not very thick or particularly strong, and I don't remember flowers. If there were flowers they weren't very showy.

Much thanks!

Answer: I'm going to guess the plant you're looking for is a sedum (stonecrop). There are dozens of species, but the smaller-leaved kinds include Sedum brevifolium, S. album, and S. rubrotinctum (also called pork and beans). All like full sunshine and fast-draining soils. Sedum flowers are often inconspicuous and the leaves, stems or seeds will readily produce new plants. You might want to find a picture book of succulents at your local library and look up the plants I've mentioned. I'll bet you'll find the one you remember from your childhood!