The Q&A Archives: Hillside Groundcover

Question: I have a steep bank in the front of my house that is pretty much sun all day and the soil is very dry and dusty. I am looking for a groundcover that is fairly fast growing and low maintanence but will not be to invasive.. Also I would like to mention that I live on a heavily traveled road - I would like to have something that is somewhat eye-catching and doesn't look like I just threw something on the bank to get out of mowing it. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Answer: It is very difficult to establish a planting in such a tough spot, so your choices will be somewhat limited to plants that can withstand not only a hot dry location in full sun but also grow on a bank. Watering is critical to successful establishment of any planting, and this is made more difficult by the slope. The most "tailored" look I can think of would be provided by low growing, mat forming, spreading junipers. They are also extremely low maintenance once established.