The Q&A Archives: Care Of The Orchid After The Bloom

Question: I have a phaleonopsis orchid which has a 16" stem. All the flowers have fallen off and about 6" of top of that stem is yellow and dry, the rest of bottom half is green. What is the recomended care for the orchid after the flowers have fallen of and waiting for it to bloom again. Do I cut the stem?

Answer: Most growers cut back the flower stalk (called inflorescence) after blooming to allow the plant to rest. The belief is that the next flower spike will be stronger.

For phaleaenopsis orchids, some growers induce a secondary flower spike by cutting above just above dormant buds that are located below the first flower on the stem. Sometimes, a small baby plant (called a keiki) will develop instead. Leave it until roots develop and then it can be removed and potted. I hope this info helps!