The Q&A Archives: Pachysandra Turning Yellow & Why Not Getting Thicker Quicker

Question: I'm having problems with my pachysandra. Why is it turning yellow? And why isn't it getting thicker more quickly? How long does it take to fill in? Does it like sun or no sun?

Answer: Pachysandra does best in a humid, moist yet well drained, acid soil in partial shade. It will tolerate dense shade and it will also, if the soil is moist enough, tolerate some additional sun. However, it may yellow due to "sun burn" and this is one of the most common causes for yellowing. It may also yellow if the soil is not acid enough. Planted about a foot apart, pachysandra should spread and fill in within about two years. If your pachysandra is not spreading, it could be because the soil was insufficiently prepared or because it has not received enough water.