The Q&A Archives: Watering Seeds and Seedlings

Question: I have just started my seeds indoors, under lights, and have been advised to water seeds and young plants from underneath. How do I do that? What is the best method?

Answer: To water from underneath you simply set the container in a pan or tray of water and allow the soil to absorb the water by capillary action. Then, allow the excess water to drain away freely. This can, however, result in overly wet or water logged soil, so in my experience it is better to water very gently and carefully from the top. You could use a mist sprayer or dribble water slowly over or between the seedlings in a gentle stream. When you start seeds, be sure to premoisten the potting mix and cover the container with plastic wrap. By doing this you should not have to water until the seeds germinate and you remove the covering.