The Q&A Archives: How To Care For Carpet Roses

Question: Several Carpet Rose plants (pink) were planted in our landscape last July. I do not know how to prune them so they have lots of blossoms this summer. I'm not sure when and how to cut them back or do I need to fertilize?

Answer: Flower Carpet roses are disease resistant, particularly to black spot and mildew. No dusting, spraying or dead-heading is required and the plant doesn't require pruning, except for cutting back in late winter or early spring to keep it under control if it's growing out of bounds. Water and fertilizer are the only requirements. Feed with a liquid fertilizer in the spring after new growth begins and then regularly (every 3-4 weeks) during the growing season.

In full sun, a well-fed and well-watered mature bush can produce up to 2,000 flowers per season. In partial shade (4-5 hours of sun per day) or good filtered light, it will still bloom prolifically, but with reduced size blossoms.