The Q&A Archives: Applying Lime

Question: I've read that it is not a good idea to add lime and fertilizer at the same time to soil. Is this true? My mother-in-law wants to throw 10-10-10 into the rows that have just been limed for planting corn. I normally lime my yard/garden in the fall and fertilize several months later. Thanks Gary Mason Apex, NC

Answer: I've never heard any caution about applying lime and fertilizer around the same time, but I know that lime takes time to fully act, so the benefits it provides won't be evident for many months. As you say, you usually apply lime in the fall, and fertilize before and during the growing season. Have you had a soil test performed to determine if your soil/crops need lime and fertilizer? If so, consult the lab that performed the test, as they will be able to give you specifics about your situation. If the soil has not been tested, I recommend that you do so, as it will help you maximize your crop yield, and perhaps save you money in fertilizer and application time. Good luck!