The Q&A Archives: Mountain Ash Wilt

Question: Last summer I lost a mountainash tree to fusarium wilt.Can I plant another tree in the same spot? I have been told to wait two years to re-plant the same area. Can I safely plant nearby?

Answer: Unfortunately, fusarium is soil-borne. If you really want another tree in the same spot, it's important to plant something that is resistant to fusarium (contact your county extension office for a listing of trees that will thrive in your area). You can plant nearby, but remember how far a tree's roots spread. The fusarium spores will extend outward from the trunk much farther than the diameter of the crown. Again, wherever you want to plant in the area, try for something that is resistant to avoid the heartbreak of losing another tree to fusarium. Two years may be long enough to wait, but that is no guarantee that the disease will be gone. Fungal spores are amazingly tough and can last many years waiting until something shows up to infect! Good luck.