The Q&A Archives: Sources for Beneficial Nematodes

Question: Do you know another source for beneficial nematode other than Burpee? I can't seem to find it locally and they are sold out for the season. Thanks for your help,again! Melinda Bartoszewicz Tallahassee, FL

Answer: Beneficial nematodes have become very popular in the last few years, and are widely available through mail order. If you plan to use them on your lawn, I recommend Grub Guard, sold by Gardener's Supply Co. (; 800-863-1700). These nematodes are the most aggressive on the market, and are therefore better for use against grub populations in lawns, since they are active and willing to hunt far and wide for prey. If you intend to use them in your garden, BioSafe nematodes are a goodsolution (offered by Bozeman BioTech; 406-587-5891). I suspect from your location in Florida that your soil is sandy and well drained. Nematodes require a steady moisture supply, and are most effective in a soil that has enough organic matter to hold moisture in reserve.