The Q&A Archives: Daffodils

Question: My daffodils are coming up but they aren't blooming. I have little stalks but no flowers. I enriched the soil last year and replanted them, but now have no blooms Have I done something wrong?

Answer: Daffodils store energy in their bulbs for the next season's bloom through the foliage of the current year. If you cut the leaves down after they bloomed last year instead of allowing it to naturally wither and die down, the bulbs will have only enough stored energy to produce leaves but not flowers this year. Since you've recently amended the soil and replanted, I expect your bulbs will bloom next year. You can help by allowing the foliage to turn yellow before cutting it off at ground level. Better luck next spring!