The Q&A Archives: When Will My Asparagus Come Up?

Question: Last year I planted 2 year old asparagus crowns. This year I am anticipating my first small harvest. When will the tips start to come up? the old stalks that I cut back are just brown and hard and don't seem to want to go away to allow the new growth to come up.

Answer: Carefully trim away the old stalks as close to the ground as you can. This is usually better done in late fall in order to avoid any carrover of insect or other problem from year to year. Asparagus is often given a good top dressing of compost or well rotted manure in the fall and trimming away the old stems makes it easier to do that as well. The tips will appear in mid spring; since they may be damaged by frost you might want to keep some light mulch such as straw handy with which to cover them should a late frost be predicted. Once the tips appear they grow very fast so be sure to check them daily!